- CAF 2020 in 10 Minutes
CAF2020 is the fifth version of the Common Assessment Framework, which is a European guide to good governance and excellence in public sector organisations.
What’s new in CAF2020?
The basic structure with 9 criteria and 28 subcriteria has been preserved. The language has been simplified, shortened and is now more concise. CAF2020 reinforces the focus on digitisation, agility, sustainability, innovation, collaboration (participation) and diversity. As a result, there have been significant changes in each individual subcriterion and examples. However, users of previous CAF versions will not find it too difficult to become familiar with the new version; the compatibility with the predecessor, CAF2013, is ensured.
The permanent acquisition of information and participation has become an indispensable part of everyday life and work for many people. Citizens demand more, have become more critical and want to participate. This has put more pressure on traditionally shaped administrative structures and cultures. More agility and innovation in strategy development, in the organisation’s structures and processes and above all in the awareness of the staff is required in order to master the necessary change.
The guiding principles for CAF2020 are the principles and findings from:
- the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations;
- the toolbox – Quality of Public Administration, European Commission, 2018;
- Principles of Public Administration, SIGMA OECD, 2019;
- Embracing Innovation in Governments Global Trends, OECD 2018;
- Observatory of Public Sector Innovation (OPSI), OECD;
- the five principles of the European Ombudsman’s public service: commitment to the European union and its citizens, integrity, objectivity, respect from others and transparency.
Further language versions can be found in Documents.