- CAF 2020 in 10 Minutes
CAF2020 is the fifth version of the Common Assessment Framework, which is a European guide to good governance and excellence in public sector organisations.
What’s new in CAF2020?
The basic structure with 9 criteria and 28 subcriteria has been preserved. The language has been simplified, shortened and is now more concise. CAF2020 has 6 new focus areas:
- Impact of Digitalisation on Public Sector Organisations.
- How to ensure Agility and
- Innovation of public administration?
- Sustainability and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as leading principles of public governance,
- Managing Diversity,
- Collaboration with citizens and civil society.
As a result, there have been significant changes in each individual subcriterion and examples. However, users of previous CAF versions will not find it too difficult to become familiar with the new version; the compatibility with the predecessor, CAF2013, is ensured.
The guiding principles for CAF2020 are the principles and findings from:
- the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations;
- the toolbox – Quality of Public Administration, European Commission, 2018;
- Principles of Public Administration, SIGMA OECD, 2019;
- Embracing Innovation in Governments Global Trends, OECD 2018;
- Observatory of Public Sector Innovation (OPSI), OECD;
- the five principles of the European Ombudsman’s public service: commitment to the European union and its citizens, integrity, objectivity, respect from others and transparency.
Further language versions can be found in Documents.